This is a clear message from Gov. Bob McDonnell to Establishment Republicans – get out and vote for the entire GOP ticket tomorrow. These nominees may not have been the ones that you would have preferred, but they are head and shoulders better than the Democrat alternatives. Don’t make Virginia suffer for four years out of spite. Politics is a two-way street and conservatives back our nominees regardless of whether that is who they supported in the nomination. The Establishment must return the favor now that it is their turn.
Tomorrow, voters all across Virginia will head to the polls to cast their ballots in the 2013 election. The stakes could not be higher and today I’m asking you to please vote for our Republican ticket.
Four years ago today I was standing at the State Capitol talking to the press about our historic sweep that had occurred the night before. Thanks to your support, help and hard work we received the most votes of any candidate for governor in Virginia history. We won localities from Fairfax to Buchanan. And with that strong support, we got to work.
Together with Lieutenant Governor Bill Bolling and our next governor, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, we set about putting in place common-sense conservative policies that would get positive results for our people. Here’s what Republican leadership has achieved:
- Over the last four years over 167,000 net new jobs have been created in Virginia
- The state unemployment rate has fallen from 7.4 percent to 5.8 percent today; the lowest unemployment rate in the Southeast and the 3rd-lowest east of the Mississippi
- We’ve posted four straight budget surpluses totaling nearly 2 billion dollars. That’s the first time a Virginia administration has put up four consecutive surpluses since the administration of Governor George Allen in the 1990’s
- We passed Virginia’s first major transportation funding plan since 1986, finally addressing a challenge that had been impeding economic growth and hurting our citizens’ quality of life for nearly 30 years
- We made college more affordable and accessible, adding 14,000 new slots for undergraduate students and seeing the lowest average yearly tuition increases in a decade
- We reduced the unfunded liabilities in our pension system by 9 billion dollars
- We put in place new innovative programs and policies in our K-12 system to give students, parents and teachers more resources, accountability and choice
- And just a month ago, Forbes.com named Virginia “America’s Best State for Business.”
THAT is what Republican leadership looks like!
More Virginians are working. Our economy is stronger. Transportation and education are well funded. Virginia is on the right track.
Now, we need to keep that progress going by electing Ken Cuccinelli, E.W. Jackson and Mark Obenshain!
Republican leadership has gotten results. Tomorrow, let’s keep building this “Commonwealth of Opportunity” by electing our great Republican ticket to lead Virginia forward for four more years.
Governor of Virginia
P.S: if you get this email and you happen to live in New Jersey, I hope you’ll vote tomorrow for my friend, and the Garden State’s great governor, Chris Christie!